Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What I'm watching...

I taped this from the Independant Film Channel. I was expecting to be disgusted and grief stricken by watching the unfortunate lives of these children born into the red light districts of Calcutta, but I didn't expect to laugh and be filled with hope.

I don't think Zana, the woman doing the documentary, expected what she ended up doing with this group of children. She wanted to see their sad little world from their own eyes so she started Saturday photography lessons and supplied each of the children with their own camera. What resulted was some of the most beautiful and sometimes haunting photographs. From there she decides to take action and try to get the kids out of their environment before they too are forced into the world of prostitution.

The cinematography and photography is captivating and colorful and I don't think I will ever forget the children. Saving women and children from human slavery is something I feel deeply passionate about and this documentary gave me some hope that we can do something!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails