Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fajitas and Naan

First of all I'm going to start out with saying I was so low on energy yesterday that I was completely good for nothing except laying around and watching TV. And I had a lot to do so it was really frustrating. I also have had trouble sleeping the last couple of nights and my legs have been a little achy. I looked in my medicine cabinet and found some iron supplements (Thorne brand - it's the best!) from my last pregnancy. I took one with dinner I noticed how much better I felt immediately so I also took a couple of calcium supplements. Just working out the kinks of this:)

Thank you God for providing wisdom to those who seek it!

Veggie Fajitas

Marinade ~
2 Tbls olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1 Tspl honey

Chopped onion
Chopped green pepper
Chopped red pepper
Zucchini cut julienne style
1 cup of frozen corn
1 can or 2 cups of black beans

Cooked rice

Mix together marinade, add veggies, except for corn and let sit in fridge for 30 minutes. Drain veggies, put in pan, add corn and beans and saute on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Serve on top of rice.

Flat Bread

This is basic Indian Flat Bread or "Naan", but I called it Elijah bread. I remember reading the story about Elijah and the widow who only had enough oil and flour for one more day before her and her son would starve to death. Well, Elijah asks for food and she serves him her last meal. Her oil and flour supernaturally multiplies so that she and her son are sustained through the famine. When I read the story I remember thinking "How can you make bread from only flour and oil?

2 cups whole wheat flour
water (Have about 3 cups on hand)
2 Tbls olive oil
More flour for rolling out
More oil for cooking

*(If I were eating dairy I would use yogurt and milk instead of water because it's supposed to make the bread softer. I also might experiment with spices, although if used as a bread for dipping it's fine as it is.)

Scoop flour into a mixing bowl. Add water and knead in with you hands until dough is smooth and can be formed into a big ball. Knead in oil. Cover with a towel and set aside for 10-15 minutes. Break off pieces and form into balls about the size of golf balls. Sprinkle flour on surface and on balls to keep them from sticking to rolling pin. Roll out to 6 inches in diameter. Heat oil in pan. Cook on medium heat until little bubbles appear. Turn and as you cook the second side press down edges. An air pocket will form and the bread is done when it's puffed up.

My girls enjoyed being truly authentic by using the bread to eat the rice and fajita mixture, but Bill and I cut the bread in half and dipped in hummus. Yummy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails