Thursday, March 12, 2009

Confessions Of An Overly Sensitive Mommy

Number 87: The library

I remember the days when we were constantly told to "shhh" in the library. The library wasn't a social place. It was a place to go in, research, find what we were looking for, check it out and leave. What happened to that? I mean, I do try to keep my children relatively quiet, but it doesn't seem like everyone knows that rule. It seems like that rule was much more important when I was younger or was that just because I was with my mom who was trying to keep me and my younger siblings relatively quiet? Who knows.

So, I was at the library for preschool story time awhile back. This was a day when my kids were all being relatively quiet and I was feeling pretty good. Actually it was a long while back, but I've just finally mustered up the courage to tell you this story. I was pregnant with Brayden. Ruby was faithfully staying by my side as usual, while Emma was off exploring as usual. I was actually 8 months pregnant and feeling all those feelings that come with that stage of pregnancy. The sore feet, the up and down hormones, the fatigue, etc. An older lady came over and said hello to Ruby who was now hiding behind my knee. She asked a couple of questions like how old she was. Then her eyes got kind of wide with realization and she said "Well, it looks like you're about due." I just smiled politely, wanting to question why she would ask me that? I didn't think I was THAT big. I still had another month to go. I started fearing what people would say by then. Then she took it a step further. She said "You better hold your legs together from now on. Two kids is enough!" Oh boy. I wanted to say all kinds of things at that point. But I smiled. I kept it in.

This is what I wanted to say. Maybe this will help my overly sensative self to heal a little.

"I actually have five kids and I would love more."

"This baby was a surprise, but God had him planned even though we didn't."

"Children are a blessing!"

"My children are each a gift from God and I can't imagine my life without them."

"These kids are our hope and our future, why don't we cherish them?"

You get the point. So am I overly sensative? Maybe not in this story, but I'm sure I could tell you others and you'd wonder why I can't let things just roll off my back. I'm just not that way and I've finally begun to accept that about myself. Now if only I could gain the courage to come up with some comebacks. Or a little grace for people. One or the other:)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh My!

My mouth literally dropped when I read that comment!

I don't think you're being sensitive at all. That was completely rude and inappropriate. I am so amazed at what people think they can say to complete strangers these days!

Also, I am totally with you on the library thing...I am always telling my kids to be quiet, while every body else is running around laughing and talking...its weird to this rule following gal!

barefootmommy said...

you're a great mom jewel. that lady doesn't know the fun she's missing out on with that outlook on children!

April Willard said...

I lost count of how many times I heard "Don't you know what causes that?" while I was pregnant with Cash and had the other 3 kids in tow. Or "You're too young to have all these children". :)

Jewel said...

I have a comeback for that one too. Just say "Yes, I know what causes it...I'm an expert!"

April, next week I'll share the story of people making comments about 13 year olds having babies:)

Dejah said...

People are so rude. You are not overly sensitive. You are sensitive. That lady was not. Sad how so many people can be so thoughtless, that they really view the world through those kind of eyes. They are just miserable krinkly crumply grumps. :oP

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails