Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Devotion

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:3-10


I may have been having an emotional moment but when I read this yesterday I felt like crying. Not sure why. Maybe because the verse about hungering after righteousness is the meaning of my son's name and something I pray for him every night.


Perhaps I was thinking of the persecuted church and the horrific experiences that we in our comfortable houses CANNOT imagine!


I think though I was just feeling comforted by God's Spirit in realizing that He cares about us when we're down or "poor in spirit". That he notices the peacemaking qualities that most other people look past. Other people look at our outward appearance and judge us but God sees our heart. I love that!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails